Before you were a manager, you probably spent some time imagining what it would be like to be in a management position. Chances are, if you try hard, you can remember some of the things you wish your supervisor did or didn't do. Remembering those small things can help you be a better manager today.
Here are a few of the things most employees would like from their manager.
- Giving Recognition. It's hard to put in a lot of work on a project and then not be thanked or recognized. I'm sure you remember wishing your boss recognized your work more often. As a manager, remember that positive reinforcement is a powerful tool, and your employees love to be appreciated.
- A Little Less Micro-Managing. Your employees want to know that when you assign them a task you trust them to get it done in the best way possible. I'm sure you remember what it felt like to be given a task, but then quickly have all the details of your task laid out for you. Try to remember how crummy that felt the next time you feel the urge to micro-manage.
- Mentoring Care. Employees want a manager that asks them about their goals, and works with them to move up into the positions they desire. I'm sure you had someone that invested in your future when you were in a lower position. Any effort you spend getting to know what your employees work goals are and helping them achieve them will be appreciated.
Improving your personal management skill improves the entire productivity of the team you manage. For further tips on this and other related topics, visit the Management & Leadership and Productivity section of our blog.
If you're looking for a few new team members, please contact us, and we will help you find the right individuals for your open healthcare positions.
- 5 Job Skills That Are Increasingly More Important
- Build Your Career Over Your Lunch Break
- Excel in Your Job by Being Likable
- 5 Tips to Regaining Your Professional Mojo
- Self-Improvement Without Change - There's No Such Thing
- 5 Workplace Habits to Break, Before They Break Your Career