Sometimes we get in our own way by worrying or procrastinating or just being afraid to try something. We will be more successful and increase productivity if we realize how we are sabotaging ourselves and work to change these bad habits.
Here are 3 ways to be more productive:
- Stop negative self-talk. What we say to ourselves matters. Have you ever heard someone who had an unsuccessful job interview say "I'm a failure. I felt so stupid. Why did I freeze up when asked that question? At this rate, I'm never going to get a job."
We need to practice positive self-talk by making a habit of listening to what we are telling ourselves and rephrasing it to a positive statement. When we don't do well with an interview we could say "I am disappointed but now I know what my strengths and weaknesses are and can work on them. I'll nail it next time!"
- Focus on solutions, not problems. Have you ever seen a magic act and thought "I wonder how he made that rabbit disappear? Now say, "If I wanted to make that rabbit disappear, how would I do it?" All of a sudden, your mind starts coming up with solutions to the problem. So realize that you can find solutions easier by changing your approach.
For example, "I would love that job but I don't feel qualified." How can you solve that? "I have to give a speech but I could never get up in front of an audience." What steps can I take to make it happen?
Just re-frame the problem in your mind and focus on the solution.
- Take Action. Taking some action, no matter how small, towards your goal, will remove some of your worry. Action kills worry. Break large goals down into small workable steps and take baby steps. Each step builds your confidence.
If you feel nervous, that's okay. Being nervous won't kill you. It helps to say to yourself "I can't help how I feel right now but I can help how I think and act."
More often than not, things are not nearly as bad as we 'think' they are. Try using the tips above to improve all areas of your life. Good things will happen. You've got this!
- Optimal Productivity is Not All About Me Me Me
- Productivity Habits of Great Leaders
- Productivity: Signs of a Great Leader
- 4 Ways You're Destroying Your Productivity
- The Best Career Advice You'll Never Hear
- You're On LinkedIn, But Can You be Found When it Matters
- Seriously! This is the Best Visual LinkedIn Cheat Sheet You Will Find