The season for spreading holiday cheer is upon us. If you're looking for a way to unite your workplace in the joy of the holidays, you could hang up some decorations, plan a secret Santa gift exchange, wear funny hats, or you could do something really meaningful together.
Most people are not looking for more acknowledgement that the holidays are happening, but they are looking for a way to add purpose and generosity to their celebration. Studies have shown that employees who participate in a giving project or community service project feel more fulfilled at work and report higher levels of career satisfaction. So you can rally your team to collect gifts for a giving tree, sponsor a child or whole family in need of support, or you can pool your money for a boss' gift that gives back.
Here are a few gift ideas that give back to social efforts.
- Do Good By Us - Charities sell their products on this site, along with for-profit companies that give at least half of their profits to charities.
- Baking Memories 4 Kids - Buy a pound of homemade chocolate chip cookies, all of the money – except $1 – funds an all-expense paid vacation to a Florida amusement park for a child with a life-threatening illness and his or her family. What about that remaining dollar? It goes to the St. Jude Children's Research Hospital to help find a cure of the child's illness.
- LSTN Headphones - Every purchase of these top of the line headphones results in a pair of hearing aids being given to a person in need.
- Toms Shoes - When you purchase Tom's shoes they give a pair away to a child in a developing country.
- 31 Bits Jewelry - This jewelry is designed and sold by women in Uganda to provide them with a living wage and access to healthcare and education.
If you don't have any big gifts your department needs to go together to purchase, you could make these "items that give back" your giveaways at a work holiday party. Or post gift suggestions like these in the break room.
If you are looking for more talented individuals with compassion and a drive to make the world better, please contact us. We would love to help you find the perfect candidates to fill your job openings.
- The Power of Social Work Through Free Haircuts
- Project Semi-Colon: Preventing Suicide and Improving Mental Health
- Mental & Emotional Health Insights Through Animal Research
- Mental Health: How Pixar's "Inside Out" Reveals Our Internal Battles
- Improving Your Mood Without Therapy - Through the Eyes of Your Pet
- Alzheimer's Care Advancement - As Close As the Corner Store