Self-improvement is an ongoing effort to live your best life. But of course, there are different obstacles throughout our development that could be taking us down a wrong path. Are you having difficulty moving your life forward in a positive direction?
Here are 3 common reasons that could be holding you back from the self-improvement you deserve.
- A lack of appreciation for your current status and situation. The first step to self-improvement is to appreciate all your accomplishments and your current state. If when you're thinking negatively about your life and where you want to be in the future, you should remember to count your blessings for the things and experiences you have already received. Recognizing and appreciating everything you do have will help you develop a healthier outlook on your life.
- Clutter. A cluttered home and lifestyle can trap you into a state of worry or anxiety, taking up a lot of your emotional and mental energy. Clutter also tends to be a sign of over-valuing items and possessions. Downsizing and simplifying can help you feel lighter (physically, mentally, and emotionally), which can help you welcome new changes.
- Comparing yourself to others. This is the biggest obstacle most people have when it comes to self-improvement. We do this casually in our daily lives: we might see someone with great clothes and think to ourselves, "Why can't I have an amazing wardrobe? Why can't I look that good? I must look awful." But comparing yourself to another person is to set yourself up for failure.
The most important part to self-improvement is complete self-reflection. You'll need to think of your own characteristics and skills that you want to build for yourself. For example, ask yourself, "Do I want a job in X field because I'm genuinely interested in it and not because Z friend looks so happy in this field?" Reflect on your real wants and desires before playing the comparison game.
Identifying any of these situations can be key to developing yourself and your future. If you don't recognize any of these situations in your life, check out Brianna Weist's article at Thought Catalog, which lists many other obstacles that could be holding you back.
- Crush Productivity With These 3 Habits
- Career Advice: When Procrastination Pays Off
- True Self-Improvement: Know the Difference Between Busy & Productive
- Need Immediate Productivity? Clean Your Desk
- How to Boost Productivity by Tackling Your To-Do List Right
- 3 Self-Improvement Ways to Increase Empathy
- Could Perfectionism be a Detriment to Your Career