As a leader in your workplace, you play a key role in the office's productivity. You rely on your co-workers and employees to work for you, but it's your duty to create a productive physical, emotional, and mental environment. To do this, you'll have to be a great leader.
Here are a few characteristics you should work on to be a great leader.
- Empower your Co-Workers and Employees. The most important thing you can do as a leader is to encourage and empower your employees. Positive reinforcement and support from you can do a lot in terms of engendering success among your workers. In turn, that success reflects your own abilities as a leader and can lead to your company's overall success.
- Listen Actively. As a leader, it can be tempting to dominate a discussion or assert your position and opinions over others. But this can make it hard for your team to feel comfortable sharing their own ideas (and act on them). Work on listening carefully and recognizing your workers' contributions: this can go a long way in developing a healthier work environment.
- Lead With Compassion. Caring for your employees helps demonstrate your commitment to their well-being as people, not just as workers. This can help build company loyalty and makes people more happy and healthy in the workplace. Your compassion can come in many forms, such as: setting reasonable deadlines or acting without fear or frustration.
- Make Big Decisions. It's stressful to make big decisions, but if you can make them in a timely manner or without wavering, everyone else will thank you. It can save you and your team from a lot of wasted time and stress.
Anyone can learn to become a better leader, especially if you also work on these personal traits listed at Lifehack. For more tips on becoming a great, productive leader, visit the Productivityand Career Advice sections of our blog.
- Self-Improvement the HGTV Way
- 4 Ways You're Destroying Your Productivity
- The Best Career Advice You'll Never Hear
- You're On LinkedIn, But Can You be Found When it Matters
- Seriously! This is the Best Visual LinkedIn Cheat Sheet You Will Find
- Need Immediate Productivity? Clean Your Desk
- 3 Self-Improvement Ways to Increase Empathy
- Could Perfectionism be a Detriment to Your Career