If you want to see a struggling student make big improvements, one factor will matter more than just about any other. The amount of time that a student experiences one-on-one guidance will have a direct impact on that student's success. This is one of the reasons why teachers are constantly asking parents to stay involved in their child's intellectual development.
Parents can offer focused, individual attention at home. However, what happens at school?
A teacher may have between 20 and 30 students to focus on. Even when they see a student struggling, they know that if they choose to focus their attention on a single student, all the rest of their students will suffer from a lack of their attention. Paraprofessionals in the classroom help to solve this problem.
- While a teacher focuses on all the students equally, a paraprofessional can work with a single student or a small group of students to give them the focus and attention they need.
- They are very helpful for students with an Individualized Education Plan (IEP), whether this is due to mental, physical or behavioral deficits, a non-English native language, or a weakness in concentration skills.
- They are also used in preschool programs and in standard classrooms, because the development of all students improves when there are people in the classroom who can take some one-on-one time with students who need it.
- The paraprofessionals that are most successful in creating classroom success have undergone significant training and mentorship programs. Well-trained professionals have strong communication skills and act pro-actively in the student and teacher's best interest.
If you believe one of your patients would benefit from extra help in the classroom, you can talk to their parents about asking for an IEP for their student, which will lead to the student receiving extra help that might include a paraprofessional.
If you are looking for a career where you can make a difference in a child's development and quality of life, please contact us. We would love to share job opportunities in your area.
- Gabriel's Act of Kindness Shines Light on Autism
- What is Normal? New Therapy Ideas For Developmentally Disabled Kids
- Special Education Teacher: The Most Rewarding Job
- Special Education Teacher Changes Lives in First 10 Minutes of the Day
- Education Made Easy: Learning With Lego Blocks
- America's Oldest Teacher Proves Age is Just a Number
- Education: Schools Turn to Staffing Agencies For Teachers