The National Association of Social Workers leads a celebration of its profession every March. Social Workers: Generations Strong is the theme for Social Work Month 2020. That theme is meant to emphasize social workers from the Silent Generation to Generation Z are working diligently to improve life for individuals, families, and communities.
What Social Workers Do
Social workers provide support to people in every stage of life. They help people find the solutions they need to make positive changes in their lives. Examples of their duties include connecting people to services in their community, protecting vulnerable individuals from harm, and helping people form support networks.
Many social workers specialize through working with a specific population such as older adults, inmates, students, or people with developmental disabilities. These professionals work in a wide variety of settings like:
- Skilled nursing facilities
- Government agencies
- Veterans centers
- Mental health clinics
- Correctional facilities
Celebrating a Vibrant Profession
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), just over 700,000 social workers are employed in the United States. Over the next eight years, the BLS expects the profession to grow tremendously. By 2028, the bureau forecasts the country will have an additional 81,200 social workers.
Social Work Month Events
Around the country, social workers are observing the month with networking events, conferences, presentations, and more. Here's a sample of these events. This month, the North Carolina chapter of NASW is encouraging social workers to come network at the continuing education events the chapter is holding throughout the state. Maryland's NASW chapter is focusing on cultural awareness during its annual Social Work Month Conference. The title for most festive observance may belong to NASW Ohio Chapter. It's throwing a Social Work Month Celebration Gala.
Professional Opportunities for Social Workers
Experienced professionals who want to advance their careers in the field of Social Work should contact Staffing Plus to learn about opportunities.
- Resilience Will Not Stop Burnt Out Social Workers From Quitting
- Social Workers are Hard-Wired to Care
- Extraordinary Kids With Autism Rock Out to Queen
- Providing Hope for Low-Income Children with Autism
- Paraprofessionals Face Dangers Related to Special Education Work
- For Kids With Autism, It's All Happening at the Zoo
- How Baby Teeth Brighten the Future of Autism
- Elementary Teaching Has It's Challenges
- Four Challenges Some Special Education Students Face
- How Speech Therapy Helps Children With Down Syndrome
- An Extra Special Wedding For a Special Education Teacher