Physical therapy is generally considered a very hands on type of thing. Most people would agree that it's best to go to your therapist's office and have them instruct you one-on-one so that you do your exercises correctly. This is largely because form is very important when you're doing physical therapy. Some of the movements may be such that doing them with incorrect form can actually worsen your injury.
Physical Therapy in a Time of Social Distancing
Given that the world is in the throes of a pandemic, it's become necessary to maintain social distancing. This means that many people can't go out of their houses. They're working from home and doing everything else that needs to be done from home as well. But what if they're in pain and need physical therapy?
Online Physical Therapy to Help Patients Deal with Pain
Dr. Jarod Carter, a physical therapist in Austin, has come up with a solution that has helped many of his patients i.e., online physical therapy. After all, you can't sit at home and just bear the pain because it's not possible to go to your therapist's office. So it's better to do an online session where they can instruct you on what you should do.
How Does Online Physical Therapy Work?
Carter says, "…there's no reason for people to be losing the progress they made, or if they weren't getting treatment already, to think, 'I've just got to sit at home and be in pain.' Because there's so much that can be done." Carter and his patients had their doubts about whether this method would work. But they've been pleasantly surprised by the outcome.
Using Video Chat and Online Videos for Physical Therapy
Carter uses videos that he made previously, demonstrating certain exercises and also gets online and video chats with the patient. He goes into details about exactly what movements they should do and what equipment they should use. And, at least for now, it seems to be working. Carter is also giving people a 50% discount so that they'll stay at home, stay safe and still get their physical therapy done.
To learn more about this and related topics, visit the Healthcare section of our blog.
- An Introduction to a Career as an Occupational Therapist
- The Benefits of Physical Therapy for Diabetes Patients
- Honoring a New Year's Resolution - How Physical Therapy Can Help
- Physical Therapy - The Benefit of Making House Calls
- Healing Scar Tissue With Physical Therapy
- Better Handwriting Skills Through Occupational Therapy
- Newer Trends in Healthcare: Physical Therapy by Video
- Physical Therapists Inventing Ways to Help People Move
- Restful Sleep: the Foundation of Occupational Therapy
- Fighting the Battle of the Bulge with Occupational Therapy
- Exceptional Occupational Therapy for Exceptional Children
- Physical Therapy for the Brain on the Horizon