This is the month that we recognize the true foundation of any successful organization on Administrative Professionals Day. This year, the celebration is Wednesday, April 22, which is "hump day" for Administrative Professionals Week (April 19-25).
The International Association of Administrative Professionals (IAAP) has been sponsoring this celebration since 1952. It was originally called National Secretaries Day, but changed to Professional Secretaries Day in 1981. The name was changed again in 2000 to Administrative Professionals Day to better reflect the current job titles and increased duties of today's administrative workforce. It has grown into one of the largest workplace observances - outside of birthdays and national holidays - because every workplace, large or small, depends upon the skills and dedication of the administrative employees that keep the office running.
Here are some interesting facts to remember as we celebrate these professionals:
- The United States has more 22 million administrative and office support professionals working today, and Canada has more than 475,000.
- Dolly Parton, Lily Tomlin and Jane Fonda lived the dream of every harassed secretary in the movie "9 to 5" when their characters literally strung up their offending boss.
- Jennifer Lopez worked as a legal assistant before she found success in music and the movies.
- Al Capone was an accounting assistant before he embarked on his life of crime.
Looking to test your knowledge of some famous administrative professionals in honor of this event? Challenge yourself and your coworkers by completing this crossword puzzle featuring administrative assistants from the movies and TV.
For those of you who have followed a career path as an administrative professional, we wish to say "Thank you" for everything that you do to keep your workplace (and the world) running smoothly! And to those who depend upon the talents and dedication of the administrative team in your workplace, don't forget to say your own "thank you" this year.
- Today is All About CYA -- Celebrate Your Admin! [INFOGRAPHIC
- Professional Self-Improvement: 4 Tips to Stop Being Late
- 5 Career Skills That Are Increasingly More Important
- 5 Workplace Habits to Break, Before They Break Your Career
- Are You Sabatoging Your Career? 4 Things To Never Do At Work
- Excel in Your Job by Being Likable
Staffing Plus is a premier healthcare staffing firm that provides temporary, per diem, temp-to-hire and permanent Staffing Solutions for Behavioral Health, Allied Health, Pharmacy, and Nursing. We have leveraged decades of experience and developed an HR Solutions Practice to assist organizations with the challenges of managing their HR needs.