The Human Resources department of a company is often viewed as dispensable. Since it’s their job to hire new employees and keep current employees happy, they’re not actually creating a product or providing a service to customers. But does this mean that their role is any less important? On the contrary, the employees are the backbone of any company. So hiring and retaining practices are of the utmost importance.
Here is what a good HR department can do to improve the overall performance at your company:
- Providing Direction. Although a good Human Resources department may not always be around to tell employees exactly what to do, they are instrumental in setting up policies which provide direction for the employees and the company. If your company is changing direction and focusing on something new, this is something that can be reflected in company policy, which the HR department can introduce to employees. For example, if you’re switching to a new software, many employees will have to learn it from scratch. HR departments can help to run training sessions to help employees to adjust.
- Providing Encouragement. The HR department may not always be around to pat an employee on the back when they’ve done something good. This is usually up to their immediate superiors. However, HR can institute certain programs, like talent management & feedback processes, which will help to provide encouragement to employees who are doing well. HR professionals also realize that sometimes, little things are as effective as big ones when it comes to encouraging employees. So giving a new employee that coffee mug or organizing birthday reminders for the person who has a birthday can really make a difference to employee morale.
- Determining Company Culture. Is your company one of the ones which is always mentioned in the top 500 companies to work for? Or is it a place full of backbiting, distrust and stealing ideas? Most places fall somewhere between these two extremes. Still, it’s always a good idea to try and improve your company culture, which can be done with the help of a good HR department. The HR department sets the tone for the rest of the company. A good HR department understands what different employees want and makes it possible for them to have those things. There are certain employees who might prefer not to have to do any overtime. There are others who may not care about doing overtime but just need absolute silence while they work. A good HR department recognizes the needs of different employees and tries to make sure they are all fulfilled so that everyone goes home happy.
Contact us for more information on improving your company culture and/or other staffing services.
- The Ongoing HR Challenge: When Happy Isn't Happy Enough
- Top 10 Employee Gifts From Their Boss
- 7 Action Steps to Combat Workplace Gossip
- Quick Manager Tips on Employee Appreciation