Supervisors in most fields cope with a great deal of stress. It's no help when your team is a total train-wreck. You should be able to count on your team to execute the tasks your organization requires. If your team continually falls on it's collective face, read on for some great tips on improving team productivity.
How To Improve Your Team's Productivity
- Delegate The Right Way. There are right and wrong ways to delegate! Give employees ownership of duties by meeting with them both individually and as a group before assigning any new tasks. Don't overburden employees who are already overworked. Rather, look at each team member's skills and abilities (even their pet-peeves) and make them responsible for some part of the team's behavior.
For instance, if one of your staffers does particularly excellent reports ask them to put together a little PowerPoint presentation and train the entire team. When delegating training, make sure your employee knows that shorter is better. While you need the training to be accurate, a 10 minute presentation should suffice.
Give your employee ownership of the lackluster report situation. If the other team members don't step up their game, ask your employee to do a more thorough training.
- Use Employee Rivalry Carefully. Do you have two team members who are always at each other's throats? You can boost productivity by setting up contests between the two, giving them each a crew. The key is to keep it fun and lighthearted. Consider offering both a prize and a consolation prize. Perhaps a $100 gift card for everyone on the winning team, and a $25 gift card for all the members of the losing team.
You don't want to cause a big rift, or division, among your team. However a little competition can be exciting and change up the routine. We cannot stress it enough though KEEP THE COMPETITION LIGHT. Offering too big of a prize to only one winner is sure to cause more workplace drama and be counterproductive to your goal.
- Praise a job well done
- Offer Incentives
- Give pay raises when appropriate
At Staffing Plus we understand employees, supervisors and the tricky team dynamic. If interested in learning more about this and related topics, visit the Career Advice and Productivity sections of our blog.
- Pay Attention and Accomplish More
- Likeability Leads to Success
- Positivity Enhances Productivity
- Self-Improvement Tip - You Are Not Responsible for the Happiness of Others
- Stop Saying "Too Busy" Before it Derails Your Career
- Helping Those on the Job Perceive You the Way You Perceive Yourself
- How Adequate Sleep Boosts Job Performance
- Career Suicide: Are You That Annoying Co-Worker?
- Tips on How to Slack-Off While Maintaining Productivity
- Even Bad Decisions Offer Lessons That Lead to Business Success
- 3 Ways to Stop Creating Problems in Your Mind