Monica Quehl, an occupational therapist living in Hawaii, has started a business called Aging with Aloha. The object of this business is to work with seniors (but also anyone else who might need their services) to improve posture and deal with back pain, neck pain and carpal tunnel syndrome. Quehl says that it's important for seniors to address "these health issues now while they're still young to prevent ailments and adapt healthy practices into the workplace."
Individual Ergonomic Assessments
Many people start suffering from different types of aches and pains, mostly in the back, as they grow older. There are a couple of ways that Aging with Aloha deals with these issues. One way is to sit down with the individual one on one and do an individual ergonomic assessment.
In order to do this, Quehl also follows the individual around at work and observes what kinds of problems they might have. For example, what kind of posture do they have? What kind of chair do they sit in? Do they move around at all or are they constantly sitting? This is the main way in which Quehl can help people.
Group Presentations for Better Ergonomics
Quehl also has a group lunch and learn in which she gives a presentation to make people aware of what they might be doing wrong, on an ergonomic level. Not only does ergonomic awareness lead to less pain and, therefore, a higher standard of living but it also makes a person more productive at work.
Monica Quehl's Background and Future Goals
Quehl did her master's in occupational therapy and then moved to Hawaii for an internship. She ended up falling in love with the place and eventually became an entrepreneur. She says, "Ergonomics is important for everyone, so when I can eliminate people's pain and make them feel better to do better in all aspects of life, I feel a sense of accomplishment."
To learn more about this and related topics, visit the Healthcare section of our blog.
- Better Handwriting Skills Through Occupational Therapy
- Newer Trends in Healthcare: Physical Therapy by Video
- Physical Therapists Inventing Ways to Help People Move
- Restful Sleep: the Foundation of Occupational Therapy
- Fighting the Battle of the Bulge with Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy Based Tips When Shoveling Snow
- Exciting New Research About Physical Therapy for Infants
- Physical Therapy Helps Paralyzed Man Walk Again
- Exceptional Occupational Therapy for Exceptional Children
- Physical Therapy for the Brain on the Horizon