It seems that everything can now be either controlled or monitored by Wi-Fi. The lights in your house, the diagnostics of your car, even your exercise routine. And now, the latest therapy innovation uses wi-fi to record your progress and upload it to the cloud.
Orthosense is an intelligent knee brace with the capability to monitor your physical therapy, even when your therapist is not able to see you. This happens often with many physical therapists having an extended workload and not enough time to give each patient the attention they deserve.
This incredible innovation does this in a number of ways:
- A strip of conductive fabric running the length of the knee acts as a strain sensor, stretching and retracting, all the while monitoring and recording the results.
- An inertial measurement unit monitors the knee's gait angle by calculating its angle relative to the hip angle and is all recorded by the same strain sensor.
- Probably the neatest features of all, extremely sensitive microphones pick up any sounds emitted by the cartilage in the knee, factoring them into the other data.
All of this data is then uploaded through the Wi-Fi of your home using a Bluetooth connection. The result is real-time, accurate data processed while you do your home regimen, so your therapist can monitor your progress at times they are not there with you. And it makes pretty good motivation to do your home regimen, as well!
To learn more about this and related topics, visit the Healthcare section of our blog.
- Massage Versus Physical Therapy to Treat Sore Muscles
- Swimming With the Sharks? Water Physical Therapy for Children
- Three Ways to Meet Speech Therapy Needs This Summer
- Making PT Fun For Kids
- Speech Therapy Made More Fun With the Help of a Dog
- Horses With Heart for Occupational Therapy
- Implants in Paralyzed Monkeys May Create Human Occupational Therapy Uses
- The Future is Now - Transliterating Sign Language Into Speech