Nurses are important to really changing the way we receive care and get better quickly. But when we think of nursing how much of our expectations are actually a reflection of patient satisfaction?
In a recent article by Alexandra Robbins at the Atlantic, patient satisfaction scores are muddling how healthcare providers and hospitals can understand the needs of their patients and staff in order to provide better care. While important and necessary, some patient satisfaction reports reflect an unfair assessment of the staff, especially nurses. In reality, hospitals need to be more critical about patient satisfaction surveys, and look at larger factors that can inform these opinions.
But what can you do as a patient, or as someone who knows a patient or nurse?
- Thank your nurse. No matter what, your nurse is doing his or her best, given the situation.
- Don't set unreasonable expectations on your nurse. When you think about the nurse that serves you, remember that he or she is also serving multiple families at once, while trying to meet demands of those families, their doctors, and other staff. Maybe your nurse can't arrive within 5 minutes of your request, but that doesn't mean he or she is doing this on purpose. Consider giving the benefit of the doubt, especially in a busy, high-stress environment.
- Not everything is because of the nurse. For example, if your food looks unappetizing, your nurse is probably not the reason for it. Instead, maybe the hospital has switched their food provider, and therefore the quality is not as good as it used to be. Before you blame your nurse, understand why or how something seems wrong, and file the complaint to the right people. Your nurse can actually help you with this.
Overall, consider your nurse as an ally, and appreciate his or her work. Because they really do care, in so many ways. Looking for talented nurses to exceed your expectations in personal care? Please contact us.
- Will Robots Revolutionize Healthcare for Children?
- Standard Healthcare Procedures Trump Unreliable Online Health Checkers
- Pediatric Physical Therapy Should be Fun
- 3 Top Myths About Nursing Home Nurses
- Physical Therapy Spotlight: Turning Leg Braces Into Works of Art
- Top 3 Ways to Know You Are Living With a Nurse
- New PT Research Aims on Bringing Touch to Prosthetics