For most people, finding career success is important. According to a study, career success is in large part dependent upon a person's emotional intelligence, which in turn makes the person more likeable.
Whether you are looking to build your emotional intelligence to improve your job situation or you simply want to be a more likeable person, there are several habits you can adopt to make yourself more likeable.
Here are three starting point habits to try.
- Put Away Your Phone While Conversing. When you are talking to someone, it is important to devote all your attention to the conversation. While it might seem harmless to attempt to multi-task by talking to one person while answering a text message, your full attention is not on the conversation when you are talking to someone while texting someone or while doing something else on your phone. The other person knows this. Be willing to put away your phone and devote your full attention to the conversation.
- Be Real and Sincere. Most people know that person who is nice to you to your face but who talks bad about you behind your back. Then there is the person who is one person when they are with one group of friends and a completely different person when they are with another group of people. You never know the real person. Instead of pretending to be someone to get people to like you or to adapt to the situation, the most likeable and trusted people are their real selves no matter the situation. Plus, they are happier because they do not have to pretend to be someone else.
- Smile. People mirror the body language of others naturally, although unconsciously. Smiling at others during a conversation makes them want to return the smile, thereby creating a more positive mood for everyone involved.
- Career Advice: How to Gain a Coworker's Trust
- Secret to Advancement -- Career Advice From Your Worst Critic
- Why Talking Office Politics is a Bad Idea, and More Job Advice Tips
- Job Advice a Hiring Manager Won't Tell You
- Best Job Advice -- Choose Happiness
- 3 Simple Job Tips to Make Your Happier at Work
- Make Your LinkedIn Profile Pop With Special Characters
- Need Immediate Productivity? Clean Your Desk