We've been exposed to this before --a friend or co-worker comes by, and begins to talk negatively about everything --work, home life, even other individuals, like other co-workers or the boss. Many times, it's about a particular problem, with the conversation centering around issues, but without any solutions. This heavy, emotional talk is often detrimental to your own emotional balance, and mental clarity. And that comes to us as a heavy weight. In fact, researchers have found that being surrounded by stressful stimuli, especially stress-inducing people and conversation, can greatly impact your health and emotional state.
But there's a way to manage all of this --over at Entrepreneur.com, top performers recommended these 12 strategies of keeping emotionally draining people from derailing your own success.
The list of suggestions included:
- Creating boundaries and distancing yourself. One of the most effective ways of dealing with toxic people is to keep them at a distance and not letting them influence or control your emotional well-being. Instead, moving away from those conversations or avoiding them completely, helps create a more stable environment.
- Fixating on problem-solving, not problem-dwelling. The more emotionally stable worker looks at problems and talks about finding solutions, rather than wasting time, energy, and emotions on complaining about the problems at-hand. Once you get the ball rolling on every small complaint, it becomes even harder to move on, emotionally and mentally.
- Obliterating negative self-talk and self-hate. Successful people understand their limitations and weaknesses, but they don't dwell on comparing themselves to others, or how much they might "suck." Instead, they look at improvement and at their strengths, and see that there's no worth to negative self-talk.
These strategies are deployed by the most successful, career-oriented workers that don't let toxic people and their emotions get in the way of their own work and happiness.
- Beyond Spellcheck - Rude Emailing Mistakes That Can Hinder Your Career
- Stop Your Career From Being Underminded From a Workplace Bully
- Are You Sabatoging Your Job? 4 Things To Never Do At Work
- 5 Workplace Habits to Break, Before They Break Your Career
- Productivity 101: Streamline Your Workday with Little or No Effort
- Cut Out Those Distractions to Increase Your Productiveness