When people think about learning valuable career skills, they assume they are going to learn these skills from someone in their own career field who is already successful. Suzy Welch, a business journalist and speaker, has different career advice. She said one of the best things you can do to further your career is to watch HBO's “The Defiant Ones.” It is about Dr. Dre and Jimmy Iovine and their rise to success in the music industry. Whether you watch this mini-series or turn to someone else who is has had a successful career, there are several things you can learn from successful people, even when they have pursued a different career path than you.
While there might be a few successful people who made it big on their first or second try, they are the exception. More often it takes six or seven (or twenty or thirty) tries to find that real success. Keep on trying. If something doesn't work out, try another path. Even as you find success, you may have to adapt to continue to be successful.
As you are struggling to find success, you will need to be patient. This patience should be extended to those around you who may not believe in your dream, but it should also be extended to yourself. Do not get discouraged if things are not happening at the pace that you would like. Even as you find success, you will likely need to continue to be patient. Those who work under you may not have the same vision for your company or may take a while to learn the skills necessary to help the company.
Success cannot come without taking risks. Sometimes you have to set yourself up for a potential failure. Even if you do fail, at least you know that you have tried. You can keep on trying until you take a risk that finally pays off.
Of course, these are more than just a few of the things you can learn from successful people. If you are interested in learning more about this and related topics, visit the Career Advice section of our blog.
- Boost Your Productivity: Five Tips You Probably Haven't Considered
- Improve Your Productivity by Taking Care of Yourself
- Career Advice - Building Your Reputation
- Are You Getting Fired? How to Improve Your Job Performance and Succeed
- Making Your Voice Heard on the Job
- Inability to Differentiate Pressure From Stress Can Harm Your Career
- Even Bad Decisions Offer Lessons That Lead to Business Success
- Get Timely Emails Without Losing Professionalism
- Self-Improvement: How Failure Can Lead to Success
- 3 Ways to Stop Creating Problems in Your Mind