Everyone wants to be good at what they do. When you were thinking about what you wanted to be when you were a kid, you probably never thought, "I want to be a moderately good firefighter." You always imagined yourself doing well and people recognizing you. It's human to want success, appreciation and recognition.
And it's also human to struggle when you're trying to get it. But here are a few tips that will make things easier for you:
- Develop a Positive Attitude: Most great people will agree to this. You have to make a huge effort to think positively, speak positively and act positively. And you'll automatically see good things coming to you.
- Develop People Skills: These are really important if you want to lead people and get ahead in life. Everyone you are nice to is more likely to be nice to you, whether they're your supervisor, your assistant, your publisher, your editor or your spouse.
- Say Yes: Often, we let opportunities and new experiences pass us by because we keep saying no. Instead, try saying yes and doing something new. You never know what great opportunity is going to come your way when you do so.
- Keep Going: You often hear "no" in your life. There are going to be many let downs and disappointments. But that doesn't mean that you give up. You have to keep trying until good things happen.
- Work Hard: This is supposed to be one of the most important ingredients of success. You have to keep trying no matter what. Yes, sometimes things may not go your way but you'll just have to pick yourself up and keep going.
- Ask for Help: If you don't have the expertise to do something, ask someone for help. It could be a colleague, a friend, a family member, a teacher etc.
- Be Confident: You have to appear confident in front of people. Psyche yourself into it or pretend that you feel it if you must. If you're a woman, reading Maya Angelou's poem "Phenomenal Woman" will get you to this stage in minutes!
To learn more about this and related topics, visit the Career Advice section of our blog.
- 8 Tips From Great Men and Women on Doing What You Love
- Career Boost - Finding Motivation in Mundane Tasks
- Get Proactive About Your Career Even if You Don't Get That Promotion
- Navy SEAL Leadership: Applying in the Professional World
- Recognizing a Subtly Controlling Boss
- Help! My Boss is a Natural Disaster!
- New Managers: Gain Trust & Respect From Your Staff
- Create a "How to Work With Me" Management Guide For Your Employees
- Be Your Word - An Example of Integrity in Leadership
- When Being Wrong is the Smart Move for a Leader
- Micromanagement is Bad Management: How to Avoid It
- Top 3 Management Lessons Learned From Bad Bosses
- Best Career Advice -- Choose Happiness