Did you know that October 16th is Bosses Day? Woo hoo, a day to celebrate those without whom a company would struggle! A Boss is a crucial part of a company, particularly in the health care industry.
Here are 5 traits of a superb boss:
- Great Expectations - No, not the book, but rather a supervisor who holds the employees in a high regard. This behavior gives employees motivation to shoot for the moon and reach their full potential. A great supervisor is one where the employees strive to make them proud.
- Gives You A Chance - A great supervisor is one who is willing to give an employee a shot. This does not mean they accept an unqualified person for a job. Rather, this is a person who observes your skills and decides you have what it takes, whether it's a promotion, new responsibilities, or more. Without them, you wouldn't know you had it in you!
- Role Model - One of the best supervisors is the one who gives you something to emulate. The example they set as an employee and a mentor will have a lasting impression on you.
- Respect - Respect is a two way street. A great supervisor shows employees respect and will receive respect in return. (If you are a Harry Potter fan you may remember this quote, "If you want to see the true nature of a man, watch how he treats his inferiors, not his equals).
- Effective v. Productive - A stellar supervisor can have effective management skills without needing to take part in the productivity of the work environment. Not everyone can manage employees effectively and at the same time not everyone is productive. Everyone has a place.
If you are an employee, be sure to thank your wonderful boss today!
Without them your work life would be more frustrating. If you supervise and mentor others in any capacity (thank you!) take the time to examine the traits and behaviors you exude and continue being the type of supervisor an employee is happy to have.
- Top 10 Employee Gifts From Their Boss
- The Ongoing HR Challenge - When Happy Isn't Enough
- Workplace Productivity - Create the Extraordinary Out of the Ordinary
- 6 Helpful Productivity Hacks for Business to Start Using Today
- How Taking the Occasional Day Off is Good for Productivity