Growing up with a mother as a nurse has been at times difficult given the long hours and tough schedules, but it filled your childhood with fun facts and weird stories from your mother's profession. In addition, your mother has also given you a wealth of knowledge about medical health and the medical industry that you're now grateful for, especially as an adult.
The Odyssey Online has a funny list of 15 things only kids of nurses understand, but here are 4 of our favorites.
- You know how to wash your hands the right way (and when to wash them). Your nurse has taught you exactly how to wash your hand for full, clean coverage. You also wash them frequently, to the point of obsession. Occasionally, this knowledge and practice led you to judge friends and even strangers on their hand-washing skills.
- Your mom was WebMD for all friends and family. The second people learned your mother was a nurse, they immediately turned your mother into their all-in-one resource on medical advice. Questions about their symptoms and possible treatments were the norm. Sometimes it was fun to listen to, but other times, it got old pretty quickly.
- Your mom always thought of the worst-case scenario. Whether you were going on a hike or heading to the beach with friends, your mom always talked about the worst things that could happen and how you can be prepared. Don't believe her? She always had a patient from last week as an example, so you could never doubt her.
- You've never been "too sick" to go to school. Unfortunately, you've never been able to play sick to get out of school successfully. The minute you say "I don't feel well," your mom has taken out her kit, asked you a million questions about your symptoms, and has taken a few tests. After trying it a few times, you knew it wasn't worth the effort.
These life skills have proven to be invaluable over time, and we can't thank the nurses enough in our lives that have taught us these things. To learn more about how nurses play an important role in and outside the industry, visit the Healthcare section of our blog.
- Husband Praises Hero Wife Nurse - Photo Goes Viral
- Physical Therapy for Pooches and Other Critters
- The Benefits of Pokemon For Occupational Therapy
- Dormant Butt Syndrome? Contact Your Physical Therapist
- The Future is Now - Transliterating Sign Language Into Speech
- Importance of Physical Therapy For New Moms
- Physical Therapists: The Sexiest Professionals?